Allana Buick & Bers, Inc. (ABBAE) was retained by the Housing Authority of the County of Santa Clara (HACSC) to provide investigative and building assessment services for Avenida Espãna Gardens Senior Housing in San Jose.
Avenida Espãna is a two-story, wood-frame development with 84 one-bedroom units and common areas that include a courtyard, library and activity room. ABBAE’s assessment uncovered deficiencies in the mechanical and roofing systems and several life-safety issues. After providing the HACSC with a report outlining repair and replacement recommendations, ABBAE provided remedial design and construction phase services for the following systems and building components:
- New emergency generators mounted on concrete pads, with dedicated electrical circuits.
- New lighting in the dining room.
- Additional exterior safety lighting.
- Replacement of deck waterproofing on many units, including fixing basic slope problems.
- Replacement of miscellaneous roof components.