Conley Group, An ABBAE Company, was retained by the City of Dallas to provide design development, construction documents, Texas Historical Commission coordination, bid phase support, exterior restoration, MEP analysis/utility infrastructure for Sammons Center for the Arts located in Dallas, Texas.
The Sammons Center for the Arts is constructed in an eclectic Italian/Richardsonian Romanesque style as designed by Dallas Architect C. A. Gill. The building is a four story mass wall masonry building constructed on a structural concrete frame. The original building was constructed in 1909 as the Turtle Creek Pump Station, which housed the water pumping system for the City of Dallas until 1930. The building was then used to house other functions of the Dallas Water Utilities until 1954 when the building was abandoned. In the early 1950’s, portions of the South and West walls were removed to allow space for the widening of Harry Hines Blvd. New walls were constructed on the west elevation into the current angled configuration running parallel to Harry Hines Blvd. In 1981, the Turtle Creek Pump Station was designated a historic landmark and placed on the National List of Historic Places. Sammons Center for the Arts is currently the oldest existing building in Dallas.
Conley Group performed a limited exterior wall and roof evaluation on the Sammons Center for the Arts at 3630 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas Texas. The primary purpose of the evaluation was to review the condition of the building envelope and evaluate sources of the reported water leaks.
The evaluation included detailed observations of the roof and exterior building walls conducted via a JLG rig which allowed close up inspection of points of interest. Photographs of typical conditions were provided as well.