Allana Buick & Bers, Inc. (ABBAE) was retained by the developer, Meruelo Maddux Properties, to provide peer review and material selection for the adaptive reuse of the Union Bank of California Headquarters Building in downtown Los Angeles.
The Union Bank Building is a 12-story, historic, concrete building with a full basement, built in 1922. The project included conversion of the existing office building into 92 luxury loft units with a rooftop lounge, parking and ground floor retail. Each unit has a washer/dryer.
ABBAE provided consultation for recommending waterproofing components, and developing constriction plans, detail and specification for the following systems:
- Roof, roof flashing, parapets, and roof drainage systems
- Weather seals around new and existing wall penetrations including storefront windows and louvers
- Flashing and weather seals for replacement windows, storefront, and aluminum sliding doors
- Waterproofing systems for the basement, escalator pits, and exterior patios/decks
- Window type selection assistance
ABBAE also provided peer review recommendations for waterproof and building envelope details .